Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Here we go....again...


Here we go again…

So… In my last posting when I said that I thought the doctor was just guessing, I was right.

When we went to see his neurologist Monday, she was surprised by the new symptoms… symptoms that he had developed while in the hospital last week before being discharged. When they checked in with her about discharging Joe, they didn’t happen to mention that his facial muscles weren’t working. She was not amused. And certainly, neither were we.

The neurologist was quite perplexed by the possible causes of the new symptoms. She wanted him to go over to the ER and get admitted right away so that a series of tests could be run in order to get to the answer.  She explained that she could have the tests run as an outpatient, but it would take longer to get answers taking that route. Since it seemed quite likely that any tests would not actually be run until the next day, because it was later in the day, we chose to go home and make the journey in the morning.
Home we went. It was nice that Joe had time to prepare and pack as well as get a good night’s sleep.

This morning we went in to the ER and they brought us right back and got things in motion. The ER doctor listened to what we said and consulted with the neurologist. Things have moved slowly today, but at least they are moving. He had an MRI today around 1:00, and finally got a private room after he returned from the MRI. Unfortunately, the neurologist won’t be in to review the MRI until tomorrow morning.

After the results of the MRI, we’ll know the next step.

If the MRI shows a possible cause, then we’ll talk about treating it. If it doesn’t there are a number of other tests that will be run. Right now he is resting peacefully in a bed in a private room with a wonderful nurse watching over him.

On a humorous note:
Laura came to visit, and after she left she sent me the following text, “License plate holder of a car in the hospital parking lot says, ‘I see dead people.’ Not sure this is the greatest place for that car to park.”
Thank you all again for your prayers and love.
I’ll keep you posted!

<3 Gilly

2 comments:

  1. After I sent it to you, I figured the world needed to see it, so I posted it on FB, too. I didn't think the world needed to see the text I got from Dawn, though, so that one stays between us.
    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!

    That text was the highlight of our day... so I had to include it!

    I think that you need to forward me that txt so I can use it as laughter therapy :)

    ReplyDelete