Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Monday, August 1, 2011

Perspective

Last week I was blessed to be able to spend time at the IDEAS science training. As in an activity we looked at several pictures taken up close of everyday objects. Some were really difficult to figure out.

I've been thinking a lot about Cheryl's comment to my last post about not always being Polyanna. She really helped me put the situation into perspective. She reminded me that a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't be worrying about someone taking Joe to his radiation appointment because neither Joe nor I were at a place where we would allow that to happen. We have made it to another part of our journey.

Looking back at the week, we both made a lot of progress. Monday was quite rocky as Joe ended up in the ER because his vision went a bit crazy, but made it to his radiation appointment after his vision returned to "normal"and everything checked out okay in the ER. Throughout Monday I checked my phone about a billion times worrying about him. It was a big relief when Andy (his dad) texted me that he was home safe from the "ray gun" appointment.

I was nervous on Tuesday as well, not because I didn't trust Tony (Tuesday's driver), but because it was out of my hands, my control. Again I checked my phone continuously throughout the day, and wasn't able to breathe deeply until hearing that he was home safe. Wednesday was the same. But by Thursday, I was able to let go of that worry as I realized that I could let go of that control and things would be okay. At the end of the day on Friday, I realized that I hadn't compulsively checked my phone at all during the day. Even more liberating at that moment was realizing that I wasn't anxious about checking it. :) YAY!

Since the diagnosis, so many people from so many different parts of our lives have not only sent warm thoughts, powerful prayers, and encouraging words, but they've offered to help. Over and over, the offer has been, "... whatever you need..." The offers have been so kind, but I haven't known where I need help nor have felt comfortable letting go of some of the responsibility.

This past week was a great exercise in both. As Cheryl pointed out, we were both at a point where this opportunity could happen.  I had a training providing the purpose for such an opportunity as it created a need from which I asked for help and found out that it was okay not only in theory, but also in practice.

Perspective can make all the difference in processing a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment