Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Monday, August 1, 2011

My Birthday!

In yesterday's post I talked about perspective. And today was my birthday.

It started out with a wonderful ride on Payton after taking Joe to work. I did not make it out before the heat in east county, but it was a great ride. I was grateful to see Bree waving an ice-cold water in my direction at the end of my ride. After Payton, I rode Cinco, and had another great time. :)

Then I took Joe for his weekly labs to monitor his counts, and then to radiation. Getting him back from radiation, he was ready for a long nap. After getting him settled, I took advantage of the beautiful day in San Diego to spent some time on the beach.

The warmth of the sand and the hypnotic sound of the waves reminded me that even when things in my life seem to be spinning out of control, the world around me is still going on. When I went out into the water I found dozens of live sand-dollars! They are purple and fuzzy. They were so neat!

My wonderful sister had invited me to dinner earlier, but needed to postpone. "No worries," I told her. "It's my birthday month!" So, Joe and I went to Olive Garden. I was craving gluten free pasta and wine. It was delicious!

All in all, it was great to have such a wonderful birthday! Although a lot in my life has changed since June 10th, it was really nice to feel like some things are the same... ish... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment