Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

Today our nation celebrated the signing of the Declaration of Independence as well as the struggles and sacrifices that bought our independence and has ensured our freedom over the years. I've been watching a series on the History Channel called "How the States Got their Shapes." It has been interesting learning how rivers, railroads, alcohol, politics, and so many things formed the states into the shapes we know them as today. As the host of the show has gone from state to state, one of the themes that has come up is an independent spirit.

There is strength in independence. It is that strength that helped the early colonists survive. Certainly an independent spirit is what spurred the once separate colonies to unite together and declare independence from Britain. Pioneers heading west also had to have had such strength. Clearly an independent spirit shaped our nation.

As much strength as there is in independence, I think there is even more strength for one who is independent to ask and accept help. Both Joe and I recognize that this journey requires more than the strength that God has given our independent spirits. It requires more than what the doctors can provide. We would be foolish to turn down the help that so many of you have offered.

Over the last few weeks I have found the strength to pick up the phone when I've needed a pep-talk. I've found the strength to admit that things are not okay. I've found the strength to ask for help as well as prayers.

Joe has found incredible strength in allowing me to help him. Since the biopsy, he has felt "fuzzy," and has allowed me to be his "personal assistant" (a title I've given myself).

We sincerely appreciate each offer of help. I know with such a situation, it is difficult to feel anything other than helpless, or that what you are able to do or offer is far from enough. We want you to know that every meal, hug, up-lifting word, call, and prayer has helped immensely.

We are so grateful that we don't need to go through this independently.

Thank you,

Gilly

1 comment:

  1. It's a good feeling to know that you are not alone in this struggle, we are here for you both.

    ReplyDelete