Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Friday, July 1, 2011

Celebrating Normality (Laura's word)



Several years ago I developed a lunch ritual that I found comforting. Although in many aspects of my life, I've enjoyed the spontaneous and unexpected, I've taken comfort in preparing and eating my lunch, doing the same thing, the same way, over and over again, day after day. It's one aspect of my life that I can easily control and take comfort in predictability. 

Today Joe went off to work like many days before June 9th. All that was planned for him today was a nice, normal day at work, no doctor's appointments, no tests... just work. 

It has been a lovely day. After seeing Joe off to work, I met my dear friend, Tara for a wonderful walk. From her house, we walked towards Balboa Park via Starbucks. We walked to the fountain then over the bridge and through the rose and cactus gardens. We stopped to smell several roses. Tara was an amazing listener (as always) as I talked about recent events with Joe's struggle. She has such a great way to put a positive spin on each aspect. I am so thankful for all the positive people in my life that help me keep a healthy perspective. 

As we made our way back, walking past the zoo and through the Spanish Village, we talked about favorite memories of childhood moments and explorations of the park. As our two hour walk came to an end, we talked about looking forward to next year's classes. It was so nice to have a long, positive talk. I'm so very lucky. 

After running a few errands, I found myself at home where I made myself my favorite lunch, PB & J crackers.

So, today was a delightfully normal day. And we have a delightfully normal evening to look forward to. 

1 comment: