Our New Journey

On June 9th, 2011, my husband was feeling ill. He said that he was dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital for fluids. I mentioned to the nurses that I was concerned because he had seemed a little different over the past week. After a few tests, it was revealed that a tumor had taken up residence in his brain. A biopsy soon followed. As the surgeon talked about the results of the biopsy, the dreadful word "cancer" was born into our lives, changing it forever.

Through this blog, I shared the early years of this journey.

Several years later, I'm elated to report that he is doing very well, back to work and life. Seeing him now, you would never know that he has been through such a battle.

Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.

-Gilly

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Prayer Quilt and Prayer Square

Yesterday we received a unique and touching gift.

Word at the horse stable spread about Joe's tumor, and it was wonderful to receive the support from everyone as I began to return to the ranch on a more regular basis. It was so touching to speak with fellow Willow Glenners as they offered support and encouragement. I really appreciate kindness as people asked me what we need. I truly feel more than anything, we need prayer. I know the amazing power of prayer, and it may seem like a simple request, but for the moment that is what I feel we need the most.

After telling Joe's story to one of the boarders at the ranch, she asked if she could have her church make Joe a "prayer quilt." I humbly said yes. It sounded like such a lovely idea, very touching.

It came out beautifully and with a card giving information and instructions. On the quilt are a number of knots. Here is what the card says:

"Each knot is a prayer that has been said for you. More prayers may join those already in this quilt. As a friend, relative, doctor, nurse, or visitor wishes to pray for you he or she may tie another knot over one already made, giving you more visible signs of God's comfort and love."

I have decided that when someone writes, texts, calls, or face to face tells me that they are thinking about us I will tie another knot.

In addition to the quilt, the kind people from "The Prayer Quilt Ministry" at St. Mark's Lutheran Church also made me a prayer square.

Tomorrow, Joe will be going through a "dry run" before his first radiation treatment. The doctor wants to line everything up, take and xray and make sure the radiation is hitting the right places and missing the right places. Hopefully everything will go well.

I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it went. Thank you for your prayers.

I love the prayer quilt and the prayer square. They are both as the card says a "visible sign of God's comfort and love."

5 comments:

  1. Prayers for tomorrow - I know it will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just tied a knot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet :) Thoughts and prayers are of course with you, for tomorrow and for always :) better tie another knot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every night there is a prayer from me and every day a positive thought. Today being the dry run, you will have both prayer and positive thought. I know Joe is a fighter and he will have the strength to win this battle. Love both of you guys!

    ReplyDelete